Come to Kronberg
Every two years since 2009, ambitious violin students from across the globe have come together in Kronberg. Here, for a whole week, they gain major inspiration from five great teachers and experience exceptional artists at first hand in their concerts. A wide range of parallel events also provides motivation for these professional violinists of the future. During the closing concert of selected masterclass students, three sponsorship awards are presented: the Manfred Grommek Prize for Young String Players, the Prince of Hesse Prize and the Ana Chumachenco Award.
- Students aged 28 or under (born in 1993 or later) may purchase either a “Masterclasses Active” or a “Masterclasses Passive” ticket.
- Applicants for active participation will be required to audition at the start of the Masterclasses and must therefore prepare two pieces/movements from different stylistic periods. See below for the audition repertoire. Applicants will not be required to play the entire piece at the audition.
- AUDITION REPERTOIRE
Please choose two pieces/movements from different stylistic periods:
SOLO: Bach Solo Sonatas/Partitas, Paganini 24 Caprices or every kind of Solo Pieces
CONCERTOS: Beethoven, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Mozart (K. 207, 211, 216, 218 or 219, Adagio K. 261 and Rondo K. 269/261 a and K. 373), Sibelius, Tchaikovsky
SONATAS FOR VIOLIN AND PIANO: Beethoven, Brahms (G Major, A Major, d minor), Debussy, Fauré, Franck, Grieg (C minor), Mozart, Schubert (A Major), Schumann (A minor, D minor), Ravel, Strauss
VIRTUOSO PIECES: Sarasate, Saint-Saëns, Wieniawski, Ravel (Tzigane)
- Piano accompanists will be available. A jury will decide who to admit to the Masterclasses as active participants; its decision will be final.
- Each student accepted for active participation will play in only one set of Masterclasses.
- Students who are not accepted for active participation will be registered automatically as passive participants. Both active and passive participants will be able to observe all Masterclasses and will be admitted free of charge to all concerts and other events.
- Each active participant will be given at least two classes by his/her tutor and will receive a certificate of participation at the end of the Masterclasses.
- Participants chosen by the teachers will have the opportunity to perform in a gala concert on 19 June 2021.
- For the second time, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra will join us as a guest at the Masterclasses. The orchestra is giving selected students the opportunity to perform single movements or works by Bach, Haydn and Mozart in the closing concert.
- Orchestra repertoire with Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra:
Bach: Concerto A minor BWV 1041 and Concerto E major BWV 1042
Haydn: Concerto G major Hob. VII a, 4 and Concerto C major Hob. VIIa,1
Mozart: Concerto No. 4 D major KV 218, Concerto No. 5 A major KV 219, Rondo C major KV 373 and Adagio E major KV 261
Registration and fees
- Your registration is only valid if accompanied by payment. The registration fee for the 2021 Violin Masterclasses is EUR 232 (incl. administration fee). After completing the registration process on this website, we request that you pay your registration fee immediately via the Reservix ticket portal. You can make payments here by credit card (Visa/Mastercard/American Express), direct debit, SOFORT transfer, PayPal or wire transfer (advance payment).A payment link and a promotional code required for the order process will be sent to you as soon as you have submitted your registration form. Please check your spam folder if necessary.
- The additional charge of EUR 210 for students who are accepted for active participation is due at the beginning of the Masterclasses.
- The number of participants is limited. Applications will be considered in order of receipt of payment. We will send you a short letter to confirm the receipt of your registration and payment.
- Cancellations must be made in writing. Refunds can only be made if we receive the cancellation notice at least four weeks prior to the Masterclasses (16 May 2021). A cancellation charge of EUR 40 will be made to cover administrative expenses. Bank charges will also be deducted. Refunds will be made by bank transfer. To receive the refund of EUR 190 please let us know your bank account details. There will be no refunds for no shows.
- Should the Masterclasses be canceled due to Corona restrictions the registration fee will be reimbursed.
In individual cases grants may be provided to help with travel expenses or to refund course fees, for example. Application for these grants must be made in writing and accompanied by recommendations from two teachers.
In times of Corona we can arrange inexpensive accommodation in a hotel (pro-rata costs for students: EUR 30 per night). This offer is valid only when booking for the entire duration of the masterclasses (eight nights in total). Booking is made upon registration, but is not due until 1 May. In case of early departure Kronberg Academy reserves the right to charge the hotel's cancellation fee of EUR 400.
Alternatively, we will try to arrange private accommodation for students depending on availability (contribution towards expenses: EUR 10 per night). Payment should be made directly to the host family; please do not include these charges in your payment to Kronberg Academy.
Kronberg Academy is committed to ensuring everyone's safety during their stay and the event will be held in accordance with current hygiene standards.
Liability and copyright
Kronberg Academy is not liable for any loss of or damage to participants’ instruments.
Kronberg Academy reserves all copyright on video or audio recordings made during the Masterclasses.
T: +49 6173 783378
Subject to change.