The Kronberg Academy Master is a one-year postgraduate programme that is open to holders of a Bachelor’s degree. The programme leads to an internationally accredited Master of Music and is awarded in cooperation with the Frankfurt University of Music and Performing Arts.
Regular individual lessons on the main instrument, chamber music, masterclasses (including with conductors), no theory subjects, individual studies (as chosen by the students), some performances arranged as appropriate. The timetable is arranged with the individual student.
- The study programme is addressed to young musicians who are counted among the outstanding talents of their generation.
- The usual age limit for admission to the Kronberg Academy Master programme is 19-23 years. For viola applicants, the age for admission may be extended.
- Applicants must already hold a Bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants may be considered for audition if clearly endorsed by a member of the faculty of Kronberg Academy Study Programmes.
Applicants should ideally have taken part in one or more of the following projects organised by Kronberg Academy:
Applicants should complete the application form and return it to:
Kronberg Academy Study Programmes
The application form must be accompanied by the following items:
- Detailed CV with photograph
- Full list of the repertoire studied to date
- DVD of a recent performance
Closing date for the academic year 2019/2020: 1 March 2020
After the applications have been reviewed by the examination board potential candidates will be invited to take an entrance examination in the following subjects:
- Main instrumental subject
Please note the following dates:
- Entrance examinations, main subject: 19 June 2020
Applicants will be expected to perform the following works:
- One etude
- One unaccompanied piece by J S Bach
- One sonata from the late 18th, 19th or 20th century*
- One concerto from the late 18th, 19th or 20th century*
- One character piece
- One piece written by a contemporary composer born within the past 70 years
* The sonata and the concerto should be selected from different stylistic periods.
- With the exception of the sonata and the contemporary piece, all music should be performed from memory.
- Applicants may be asked to play only a selection of the required works will at the audition. The decision of the examination board in this respect is final.
- A pianist will be provided, although students are strongly advised to bring their own accompanist.
- The audition panel will comprise two representatives of Kronberg Academy and of Frankfurt University of Music and Performing Arts.
The annual cost of a place in the Kronberg Academy Master programme is covered by private individuals (patrons) as well as the Federal State of Hesse. Kronberg Academy provides further courses of study like masterclasses in addition to master relevant fields of study.Therefor, the portion to be paid by the student is €3,000 per annum.
Additionally, Frankfurt University of Music and Performing Arts budgets for a semester fee of approximately €350. These fees must be borne by the student and should be paid directly to the University.
Kronberg Academy recommends students to maintain a place of residence in Kronberg or the surrounding area. Kronberg Academy can provide rooms in its student residence or in shared accommodation.
Kronberg Academy subsidises a substantial part of the rent. Students are required to contribute €250 per month. Alternatively, if the applicant is a minor who is not yet living alone, accommodation can be arranged with a host family. A charge of €10 per night will be payable to the host family.
A one-time deposit of150 € has to be paid. It will be used for extraordinary expenses like
- necessary repairs of damaged property or furniture
- replacement of keys (if lost) and locks
- replacement of lost original music
Should the amount of the deposit run low in the course of your studies you will be asked to fill it up again.
Students are required to clean their own rooms as well as jointly and regularly clean the communal areas. However, students will be charged a cleaning feeof 200 € for regular thorough cleaning of shared spaces in the accommodations like bathrooms, kitchens, hallways and – if applicable – practice rooms. Cleaning will be done about once every quarter by cleaning personnel hired by Kronberg Academy.
Should the remaining amount of the cleaning fee run low in the course of your studies you will be asked to fill it up again.
Life in Kronberg
Everyone who enrols at Kronberg Academy is assured of accommodation in the town.
Academy students are required to live in Kronberg or the surrounding area while they are studying here. Kronberg Academy can provide rooms in accommodation shared with other students – or in special cases with host families. Because Kronberg Academy subsidises the accommodation substantially, rents are relatively low in the highly desirable residential area in and around Kronberg.
In most cases students can also practise in the accommodation. In addition, the Academy has practice rooms for use by its students.
Developing a close community among its students is part of how Kronberg Academy sees its role and its tradition. Sharing accommodation in Kronberg opens up many opportunities for students to work, make music and spend time together outside classes.
The picturesque little town of Kronberg is less than 20 kilometres from Frankfurt and can be reached in around 20 minutes via the urban rail link (S-Bahn), with trains running every half-hour. Frankfurt airport and the University of Music and Performing Arts in Frankfurt am Main are also within easy reach by public transport.
Kronberg Academy is located in the heart of the old town beneath the historical castle. A supermarket, various banks, a drugstore, sundry restaurants, a post office and so on can all be reached easily on foot.
There are plenty of leisure opportunities in Kronberg and the surrounding district – hiking, cycling or running in the Taunus hills, for example. The town also hosts a number of popular regular festivals and markets. Kronberg has a cinema and a public open-air swimming pool that is open during the summer months.
The Kronberg Academy Master is a cooperation with the Frankfurt University of Music and Performing Arts.