Come to Kronberg
Are you an ambitious cellist aged 28 or under?
Would you like to learn from and work with renowned cellists?
Would you like to meet other young cellists from all over the world?
What to expect
- Masterclasses with prestigious tutors
- Evening concerts
- A violin maker's exhibition
- Atmosphere of discussion, learning, discovery and inspiration
- Opportunity to perform with Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra
- Enjoyment of great music and lots of fun
The final concert by selected Masterclass students includes a short ceremony in which promotional prizes (Landgrave of Hesse Prize, Boris Pergamenschikow Stipendium and Frans Helmerson Förderpreis) are presented to students who have demonstrated special potential.
- Students aged 28 or under (born 1992 or later) may purchase either a “Masterclasses Active” or a “Masterclasses Passive” ticket.
- Applicants for active participation will be required to audition at the start of the Masterclasses and must therefore prepare two pieces/movements from different stylistic periods (Audition Repertoire list see below). Applicants will not be required to play the entire piece in the audition.
- AUDITION REPERTOIRE
Please choose two pieces/movements from different stylistic periods:
SOLO: Bach Solo Suites or every kind of Solo Pieces
CONCERTOS: Dvorak, Elgar, Haydn, Lalo, Saint-Saëns, Schumann, Tchaikovsky (Rokoko-Variations)
SONATAS FOR CELLO AND PIANO: Beethoven, Debussy, Franck, Prokofiev, Shostakovich,
Schubert (Arpeggione Sonata), Schumann (Adagio und Allegro, Fantasiestücke, 5 Stücke im Volkston)
VIRTUOSO PIECES: after consideration
- Piano accompanists will be available. A jury will decide who to admit to the Masterclasses as active participants; its decision will be final.
- Each student accepted for active participation will play in only one set of Masterclasses.
- Students who are not accepted for active participation will be registered automatically as passive participants. Both active and passive participants will be able to observe all Masterclasses and will be admitted free of charge to all concerts and other events.
- Each active participant will be given at least two classes by his/her tutor and will receive a certificate of participation at the end of the Masterclasses.
- Participants chosen by the teachers will bring the Masterclasses to a close in a concert.
- NEW: This year, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra will join us as a guest at the Masterclasses for the first time. The orchestra is giving selected students the opportunity to perform works by Mozart in the closing concert. These students will be able to prepare one of the following works with the orchestra:
Michael Haydn: Cello Concerto in B flat major
Joseph Haydn: Cello Concerto No 1 in C major
Joseph Haydn: Cello Concerto No 2 in D major
Luigi Boccherini: Cello Concerto No 7 in G major
Luigi Boccherini: Cello Concerto No 9 in B flat major (original version)
Registration and fees
- Your registration is only valid if accompanied by payment. The registration fee for the 2020 Cello Masterclasses is EUR 230 (incl. administration fee). After completing the registration process on this website, we request that you pay your registration fee immediately via the Reservix ticket portal. You can make payments here by credit card (Visa/Mastercard/American Express), direct debit, SOFORT transfer, PayPal or wire transfer (advance payment). A payment link and a promotional code required for the order process will be sent to you as soon as you have submitted your registration form.
- The additional charge of EUR 210 for students who are accepted for active participation is due at the beginning of the Masterclasses.
- The number of participants is limited. Applications will be considered in order of receipt of payment. We will send you a short letter to confirm the receipt of your registration and payment.
- Cancellations must be made in writing. Refunds can only be made if we receive the cancellation notice at least four weeks prior to the Masterclasses (28 August 2020). A cancellation charge of EUR 40 will be made to cover administrative expenses. Bank charges will also be deducted. There will be no refunds for no shows.
We will try to arrange private accommodation for students (contribution towards expenses: EUR 10 per night).
Payment should be made directly to the host family; please do not include these charges in your payment to Kronberg Academy. We will send a list of hotels and guesthouses in Kronberg on request.
Liability and copyright
Kronberg Academy is not liable for any loss of or damage to participants’ instruments.
Kronberg Academy reserves all copyright on video or audio recordings made during the Masterclasses.
phone: +49 6173 - 783376
Subject to changes.